Spicy Stir-Fried Water Spinach
If you’re a fan of bold and spicy flavors, then this Spicy Stir-Fried Water Spinach is a dish that you simply must try. Originating from Malaysia, this delicious dish is commonly known as Sambal Kangkong. Delicious and nutritious!
- Trim the tough stalks off the water spinach and cut them into 3-inch sections, separating the stalks from the leaves. Cut both sections in half, creating 4 sections. Thoroughly wash and drain.
- In a pan, toast belacan over low to medium heat. Cook until belacan smells pungent. Break up belacan in pan.
- Add oil and sambal paste to the pan. Stir until the sambal paste color deepens and it dries slightly.
- Add salt and sugar and stir.
- Add water spinach stalks. Toss to combine. Cook until stalks are tender.
- Once the stalks are tender to your liking, add the leafy portion of the water spinach. Stir to combine. Cook until leaves are wilted.
We’d love to hear your thoughts, ideas and comments on this recipe.