Watercress Tomato Soup with Bacon
Watercress adds a peppery kick to make this soup overflow with flavor. Pair with a grilled cheese or let it shine as the main dish!
- Combine tomatoes, chicken broth, garlic cloves, and a large slice of onion in a stockpot over medium heat. Bring to a boil and gently simmer for about 20 minutes to blend flavors.
- In another pan, begin frying bacon until slightly crisp. Set aside to cool before chopping.
- Remove the tomato boil from heat and run the mixture through a food mill into a large bowl or pan. Discard any remaining ingredients left in the food mill.
- Melt butter over medium heat in the now, empty stockpot. Stir in flour to make a roux by cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture turns medium brown.
- Gradually whisk in a bit of the tomato mixture to prevent lumps from forming, then stir in bacon. Season with sugar and salt to taste.
- Top with parmesan and watercress. Enjoy!
We’d love to hear your thoughts, ideas and comments on this recipe.