Seared Salmon with Beets, Watercress and Buttermilk
Watercress Herb Ppuree
- Preheat oven to 375. Wash the beets. Next, coat them in olive oil and a generous sprinkle of salt. Wrap them in a foil pouch and bake for 45 min on a sheet tray. Check them with a cake tester or small knife to make sure that they are thoroughly done. It should pass through them with little resistance. Split them in quarters when cool enough to handle.
- Mix the buttermilk, lemon, and salt together in a small bowl. Reserve in the refrigerator.
Watercress Herb Puree
- Coarsely chop the watercress and herbs by hand. Next, place them in a blender and puree with the ice water until smooth. Reserve in the refrigerator.
- Preheat a heavy bottomed saute pan until hot. Season the salmon filets with kosher salt. Add ¼ cup of canola oil to the pan. When it is hot and shimmering, lay the salmon in the pan and sear for 4-5 minutes or until a nice crust has developed and the fish is not sticking to the pan. Flip and cook for another few minutes cooking to a nice medium doneness.
- Place 2 oz of buttermilk base on a plate and swirl with a spoonful of the watercress herb puree. Place the cooked salmon on the plate. Finish the plate with the roasted beets and some fresh watercress.
We’d love to hear your thoughts, ideas and comments on this recipe.