GREEN CLAM CHOWDER
- In a small sauce pot, bring the salted water to a simmer. Add the diced potatoes, and cook until fork-tender, about 3 to 7 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pot, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat; then add ¾ cup onions. Sauté until translucent, then add the garlic, and cook additional 2 minutes.
- Add half of the potatoes and the white wine.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, to allow the alcohol to cook off; then add the broth.
- Bring to a simmer. Add the salt.
- Add the watercress, and blend immediately, taking care not to burn yourself! Set blended soup aside.
- In a medium sauce pot (you can wipe out and reuse your original pot), melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Sauté the remaining ¼ cup onions and the diced celery until translucent. Add the other half of the cooked potatoes and the dry thyme. Add the blended soup, and bring back to a simmer. (Don’t cook too long at this point, or you’ll lose the green color!)
- Before serving, add the clams, and continue cooking just long enough to heat through. Taste for seasoning once more, and serve.
*For a dairy-free version, substitute oil for butter
We’d love to hear your thoughts, ideas and comments on this recipe.