Herbed Focaccia with Sweet Butter and Fried Greens
Place first set into bowl of stand mixer
- Using dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until dry ingredients are fully blended.
- Place quart container on scale, crumble fresh yeast into it, pour water over yeast until it reaches 795g. Mix well until yeast is fully dissolved.
- Still on low speed, slowly pour yeast mixture down sides of mixing bowl, filling in where dry pockets start to build up. (This should take about 2 minutes to fully disperse.)
- Put mixer on speed “2” or medium for 3 minutes.
- Put lever down, and, using gloved hand, flip bottom of dough on top to ensure flour stuck to bottom starts to incorporate. Turn back on speed “2”, and mix 3 minutes again. Check for flour pockets, and then up speed to “3” for 4 minutes.
- Up speed one last time to “4”, and mix for 4 minutes.
- Once dough is fully mixed, slack in greens until fully incorporated
- Using gloves, spray your gloves, your work area and your dough scraper with nonstick spray.
- Take dough out of mixing bowl, and place on work surface.
- Start to knead, approximately 20 four-way folds or “envelope folds.”
- Once done, dough should be tight and spring back to touch.
- Spray large mixing bowl with nonstick spray, place dough in, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and let sit in lukewarm area for an hour to rise.
Shaping and Portioning Process
- After first rise, your dough should have doubled in size.
- Spray bottom only of 2 200 half hotel pans with nonstick spray.
- Divide dough evenly into pans, approximately 980g per pan.
- Pushing lightly, make sure dough is evenly spread and sticking to all sides.
- Evenly distribute herb mix on top of dough (20g per pan).
- Place pans on top of oven for second proof, for approximately 3- minute to 1-hour rise, until it’s doubled in size again.
- 80% humidity, or leaving one dial red and the rest blue
- Set at 419°F full fan
- Lighting, using your fingers, make indents.
- Garnish on top with spinach and herb blend, and coat in oil.
- Place bread on 2 separate racks, and check after 10 minutes. Using fish spatula, check bottom for golden crust. If not golden, after 5 more minutes, check again.
- Place all ingredients in bowl of KitchenAid with paddle attachment. Whip until fully homogenized. Store at room temperature in closed delis with lids
We’d love to hear your thoughts, ideas and comments on this recipe.