Chef Ming’s Beef And Watercress
50/50 House Rice
- In a bowl, marinate the beef with minced garlic, ginger and sesame oil for at least one hour in the fridge or overnight.
- Coat a hot wok, with oil and stir the beef, seasoned with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, until rare and brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same wok, coat again with oil and add scallion whites to lightly caramelize, about one minute then add garlic slices and sauté for 15 seconds.
- Add the beef back to the wok, along with the watercress. Wok stir until watercress is lightly wilted and shiny. Stir in oyster sauce. Check for flavor, add kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper if necessary. Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, if desired. Serve immediately with house rice, enjoy.
Yield: 3 cups beef mixture/4 servings
50/50 House Rice
- Rinse 1-½ cups brown rice and soak in fresh cold water covered for one hour. Rinse then transfer the rice to a medium saucepan.
- Put 1-½ cups of white rice in a large bowl in the sink. Rinse the rice by filling the bowl with cold water and stirring the rice with your hand. Drain and repeat until water in the bowl is clean. Transfer rice to the same saucepan.
- Flatten the rice with your palm and without removing it, add water until it touches the highest knuckle of your middle finger. Cover and boil over high heat for 10 minutes. Lower the heat to medium and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the rice stand covered, to plump, for 20 minutes.
- Stir gently and serve.
Yields 6 cups
We’d love to hear your thoughts, ideas and comments on this recipe.