Chili with Watercress
Enjoy the peppery zest of watercress and all the health benefits of the most nutrient-dense vegetable on the planet with this delicious chili recipe.
- Combine chiles and enough boiling water to cover; let stand until softened, about 15 minutes.
- Drain, saving 1/3 cup of the soaking liquid. Discard stems and seeds. Process chiles, tomato paste, garlic, and reserved liquid until smooth.
- In a small skillet, toast chili powder, paprika, and cumin over medium heat until aromatic, 3-4 minutes; remove and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, cook and stir ground beef over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Remove and drain.
- Sprinkle steak cubes with 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper. In the same Dutch oven, brown beef in batches in 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Remove and set aside.
- Sauté onion and poblano pepper in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in toasted spices, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Add the cooked meats, stock, tomatoes, beans, watercress, remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper, and chili paste mixture.
- Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer 30-45 minutes longer.
- Serve and enjoy with desired toppings.
We’d love to hear your thoughts, ideas and comments on this recipe.